Good News C15
Second Sunday in Lent
This is the Second Sunday in Lent. Peter, James, and John saw Moses and Elijah talking with Jesus. Jesus was transfigured white like a spirit before their eyes. There appeared a cloud around him. When they went into the cloud, they heard God the Father say: “This is my chosen son, listen to him (New American Bible).”
How can we listen to him? You have to be near someone to hear them unless they have a megaphone like cheerleaders or a microphone. When God is talking to you, he won’t have to use a megaphone or a microphone if you are listening for him. He is so close that he can look you in the eye. He can whisper in your ear. However, if you have earplugs in your ears and have dark sunglasses over your eyes, you might not notice him. This is the second week in Lent, your second chance to get close to God. If God has had to use a megaphone or microphone to get your attention, start treating God as your best friend. Then you will be able to hear him.
What do you enjoy doing with your best friend? These are the things you can do that will bring you closer to God, who is indeed your very best friend.
Here is a chance to dedicate yourself to be a close friend to God.
1. “What you do for the least of these my brethren, you do unto me.” (New American Bible) Do something kind for someone in your family, neighborhood, school, church, world.
2. Make a short visit to the Church and spend 15 minutes talking with God in the chapel. Sit or kneel and tell God everything you are thankful for from the time of your birth until the present time. Ask God what he’s thankful for.
3. Write a letter to God and/or make and decorate a card for God. Tell God all your problems. Invite him to spend time with you doing what you like to do…play basketball, writing a story, or playing a game. Ask the priest if you can put your letter and/or card on the altar or beneath one of the flower vases near the altar. You could also place your letter or card in the collection basket.
4. God loves you so much. He is so very proud of you. Pretend you are God and have him write a letter to you or someone in your family. In the letter make sure you write 3 reasons God is proud of you. Tape the letter to your mirror or the bulletin board in your bedroom. If the letter is to someonelse, hand it to them or send it through the mail.
5. Before you have taken a bite, share food with someone. It could be a candy bar, a fish stick, a piece of toast or any other food. What you share with others, you are sharing with God.
Say the “Our Father.” Thank God for being your best friend. Thank him for giving you the talents, skills, family, and friends to make you strong so that you can always choose to be close to him. Ask God to open your ears and your heart to choose to do what you hear God telling you to do. God loves you very much. He is so proud of you.
“Our Father, who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be Thy name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day, our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.”
Copyright © 2004 Joan Y. Edwards